|Our fiction focus this term will be based upon the books ‘Alone on a Wide Wide Sea’ by Michael Morpurgo and ‘The Tempest’ by William Shakespeare focusing on plot, character and setting, story-writing and poetry as well as work on SAT’s papers (for Year 6 children only). Revision will be across all non-fiction genres.
We will read a variety of texts both in class and in small groups. Your child will also be encouraged to record their own reading completed at home and in school daily and reading diaries will be collected periodically for monitoring. On-going work will include handwriting, grammar and spellings. The children will continue to be given spellings to learn and practise for a weekly test every Monday.
|We will follow the Year 5 and 6 schemes of work and will differentiate according to need and ability in the following areas:
· Revision of Number skills including addition, subtraction, division and multiplication methods.
· Place value, ordering and rounding to 10, 100, 1000 up to 10000.
· Fractions , percentages and decimals
· Shape, space and measure – angles, co-ordinates, pounds and ounces, reflections, rotations, quadrilaterals and triangles, area and perimeter.
· Problem Solving.
· Properties and reasoning about numbers – sequences, square, prime, factors and multiples,
· Handling data – mean, median and mode, pie charts and statistics
· PLEASE NOTE THAT SAT’s PREPARATION FOR YEAR 6 CHILDREN WILL ALSO BEGIN THIS TERM.
|· Year 5 and 6 children will be micro-organisms and how materials dissolve and react.|
|· Geography - Australia is our main cross-curricular topic AUSTRALIA DAY will be on Monday 27th January (Details to follow).
· Art – Aboriginal Art
· R.E- Follow My Leader and Ways of Telling
· ICT – Internet Safety.
French - Family and the weather.
· D&T – Making bread.
· PHSE – Preventing bullying directly and indirectly, discrimination.
· P.E. will be on a Tuesday and Friday– full P.E. kit should be in school on these days. Please ensure that your child brings a note should he / she not be able to take part for any reason. We will be doing Indoor Athletics and Circuit Training.
· Homework will continue to be given out and expected back completed as follows:
§ Monday –Literacy and Spelling to be handed in on Thursday. Spelling Test every Monday.
§ Thursday–Maths to be handed in on Monday.